Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cinnamony Goodness

As fall quickly descended  with cooler, windy days and the leaves began to turn into brilliant oranges and yellows my enjoyment of baking returned.

Yesterday morning, despite feeling ill, I managed to get the scent of cinnamon, brown sugar and butter floating through my house via this:

Cinnamon Swirl Bread
It is quite possible that Sierra and I ate half a loaf that afternoon!  It is a good thing the recipe makes two loaves.  The second one will be gone by tomorrow I'm sure.
I'd double the recipe but I just don't like the taste of baked goods as much after they have been frozen and thawed.  I'm a purist I guess.
 
Oh, and I wouldn't tease you with something so good without sharing the recipe which was passed on to me by my mom.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread
 
1 Cup warm milk
1/4 cup warm water
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter or marg
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
5 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat and then 4 1/4cups of white)
21/4 tsp yeast
 
 
Filling:  I don't measure these ingredients, I just dump.  Be GENEROUS with the sugar.
2 TBSP butter
1/3 cup sugar (I used brown)
1TBSP cinnamon
 
Mix yeast with water and 1 tsp sugar and let rise, about 10 minutes.
Add other ingredients as with any yeast baking and mix well.
Let rise until double
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half.
Roll each portion into a 10 x 8 rectangle (mine was even longer) . Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.  *Do not skimp on this part.  Cinnamon bread/buns are meant to have lots of brown sugar and cinnamon otherwise what's the point?  They just taste like plain bread/buns.  
Roll up tightly jelly roll style . Pinch ends and seams and place seams down in two 9x5 in loaf pans. cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled , about an hour.
Bake at 350 for 25 min. (I took mine out at this point since and they were done) Cover with foil and bake for another 10 min.until golden brown. Remove from pans , cool completely and glaze with icing if desired.
Enjoy!

No comments:

 

Text