Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 14, 2008

Shivers

Making music has always reached my soul; it enables me to go to places otherwise unreachable. I have been blessed with musical abilities in playing the piano and flute, and singing. Although I don't excel in any one of these areas I feel that I am capable enough to be involved without embarrassment. I am extremely fortunate to be a part of a church that offers me opportunities to use my love of creating music. We have a fabulously talented worship pastor who is utilizing music within the church in ways not seen during my three plus years there. I find that the fulfilling part of music in this capacity is that the focus is not on ourselves, it is on God.
.
We had our first dress rehearsal of the church Easter production Thursday night. The production is forty minutes long and is a drama unfolding to continuous music. The only speaking is done by a narrator with the accompaniment consisting of the choir, orchestra and a few solos. I am a part of the orchestra. The production depicts the last three days of Christ's life; his crucifixion and then resurrection. For me the crucifixion scene is particularly powerful. The music turns harsher and has a foreboding sense. The choir acts as an angry crowd and yells "crucify him!" many times while "Jesus" is getting whipped.
.
I had shivers.
.
I can't put into words how I felt; I know I felt like crying. It really hit me that Jesus actually went through this- only it was much worse. He did that for us!
For me.
.
This is a case where music once again transported me to unique place.

No comments:

 

Text