Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sugar Free

It was triggered by my neck strain that occurred nearly two weeks ago.  
Couple that with being woken up in the wee hours of morning by a little girl every few nights and you get a Carla that hasn't been feeling so well.
I've been tired, unmotivated and my heartburn is being rather problematic. 
For some reason it often flares up this time of year.  I also have acid reflux due to a weak valve.

I'm tired of being tired and sick of feeling sick and motivated to be motivated. 
I have decided to try and eliminate two two components of my diet: sugar and caffeine.

I've known for a long time that caffeine is not good for heartburn .  My main source of it - coffee- is acidic in itself so that makes it doubly bad.  I only really started drinking it daily after Christmas last year and I have two-three cups every morning.  Prior to that it was only a couple of times a week.  When I was nursing or pregnant I abstained completely.  I won't go cold turkey, I'll drop down to one cup a day for the first week and go from there.  This will likely be the harder of the two to go without because I really like the taste and warmth and have been using it as my energy boost each morning.

As for sugar - I've been reading and hearing of people who forgo the stuff and result in feeling and looking better.  I don't believe I eat that much sugar but it is present in a lot of food, often in things you don't think would have it.   Subtracting sugar from my diet will mean no deserts or other obviously sugary delights, and cooking with as little sugar as possible (i.e, sauces).  I do pretty well at eating only whole wheat bread, noodles etc so that won't be an issue.  Fruit will be okay since it's natural sugars and I don't eat copious amounts anyway.   Oh, and artificial substitutes will be used minimally if at all.  I think my eyes will be opened to how much I actually ingest without realizing.

I'm going to do my best at this endeavor for one month and then evaluate how I feel.  It won't be easy but I believe it will be worth it. 

No comments:

 

Text