Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Being Mennonite - Intro

When I mention that I am Mennonite many people automatically bring up images of long skirts, little hats, and simple living. Then they look me up and down and notice that my fashion choices are little more modern, the simple fact that I wear pants skews the original perception pretty quick.
Did I leave the Mennonite way? Or am I a black sheep in the faith?
No.
I've always worn relatively stylish clothes (I realize this is open to interpretation and opinion!) and am not a Mennonite rebel or anything.
Then what?
"Mennonite" actually includes a wide spectrum of both culture and faith that swings from Amish-like living to blending in with the society around them. I am more the latter. I'm never offended or hurt or bothered by the old-fashioned type image, it is merely because they don't know. Our culture and faith is so diverse it is hard to know. While that assumption is not exactly wrong it isn't entirely right either.
My blog friend Tammie mentioned that she'd like to know more about my Mennonite-ness so
I'm planning on doing a series of posts about Mennonites. It is not something that can be written about in a few paragraphs because we go way back to the 1500's. I'll do brief history overview, go through the different sects, and also explain the faith as I believe it. I'll do my best to be as accurate as I can but please don't view me an expert. Feel free to ask questions and correct me if I'm incorrect.
Although Trevor and I do not currently attend a Mennonite church we still cling to the main belief system and community, embrace the heritage and are proud to call ourselves Mennonite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh im so excited about this.

i find it interesting that you dont technically go to a mennonite church. what type of church do you go to and is it easy to mix the beliefs of that church with your beliefs as a mennonites?

Me said...

We attend an Evangelical Free Church and for the most part the beliefs coincide with each other - I'll try and explain this in more detail in a future post.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

This is interesting stuff. We have a lot of Amish in our area and I'm fascinated with how they cling to their lifestyle. I'm with Tammie -- I'd like to know more.

 

Text