Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, February 18, 2012

What I Learned While Cleaning My House Today

House cleaning.
I like to consider myself a reasonably good housekeeper.    I don't particularly enjoy cleaning but I hate the mess and dirt worse which leaves cleaning as the only alternative.  The discouraging part is that as soon as something is clean it only take 0.0024 for one of my kids to revert it back to its previous state.

Today Trevor and I cleaned our house from top to bottom.  Other than my aching tired body it feels good to have accomplished this. I had a few thoughts while slaving away that I thought I'd share with you:

First of all, after wiping down our leather couches for over half-an-hour, which I did after I had already wiped down many walls and doors full of little kid smears, I was cursing all the food bits and sticky spots and I decided that when food or liquid is consumed by anyone in this house it will be at the table or counter.  If I can localize the crumbs, stickiness, bowls, sippy cups, napkins and whatever else comes from food or beverage ingestion to one area than cleaning up of said products will be far less work. (?)  I have discovered bananas behind the TV, sippy cups in dressers, and the crumbs......EVERYWHERE!

Secondly, a chocolate chip mashed into carpet for several months does not come out easily.

Thirdly, half a bottle of laundry detergent and a third of a bottle of bleach found upside down behind the washer made an awful mess.  The washer danced a little too much and managed to jiggle both bottles to the back edge and over, oh and remove the lids. (the lid of the detergent may have possibly not been on but I know the bleach lid was!)  I'm too short to have noticed this was taking place until one day I smelled bleach quite strongly.

Forth, I detest cleaning floors.  Wait.  I knew that already. 
But you see, cleaning floors isn't simply a matter of vacuuming/sweeping/mopping etc.  Before the actual cleaning can take place the floors must be clear and then while performing the floor cleaning task many other cleaning necessities come to light.  I.E. filthy couches, walls, bar stools, baseboards....

Fifth,  Chinese food, a bath, and now a glass of cab/merlot finished this sort of day off nicely and were well earned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your decision to banish all people eating food to the table or counter seem unnecessarily harsh.

Me said...

Well when the kids are in bed or not around I will likely be more lenient. But truthfully, I make more mess than my kids sometimes and I don't believe in double standards. But who knows.

 

Text